A day tour to Windsor, Stonehenge and the Salisbury Cathedral.

(Last Updated On: October 9, 2016)

The mystery of the megalithic monuments of “Stonehenge” located in Wiltshire region of England have always aroused a curiosity in us to learn and explore the story behind this prehistoric monument. And when a trip to the UK was devised we made sure not to miss a trip to this historical wonder of Stonehenge.

We booked a day tour with Anderson Tours on the day after Christmas. Our trip to Stonehenge also combined a visit to Windsor Castle and Salisbury Cathedral. With Public transport, this trip would have been a little cumbersome and time consuming so we chose to do a day tour.

Our meeting point was Earls Count Underground Station which was easy to locate. Once other travel mates for the day joined us on coach our tour guide briefed us about the places that we would be visiting for the day.

WINDSOR

The Windsor Castle home to British sovereign for over 1000 years is the oldest and largest inhabited castle in the world. Unfortunately, the castle was closed during our visit and so we had only the town of Windsor to explore.

We parked our coach and climbed the stairs which led to the Windsor & Eton Central station which opened up into a large complex with several restaurants, cafes, and souvenir shops.

Day Tour Windsor Stonehenge Salisbury

We sauntered through the cobblestone streets past the restaurants and entered into a street along the magnificent castle wall of the Lower Ward of Windsor Castle.

Day Tour Windsor Stonehenge Salisbury

Around the corner of the street is The Henry VIII gateway in the Lower Ward.

Day Tour Windsor Stonehenge Salisbury

We continued on the street towards the Windsor Great Park taking pictures on the way.

St John the Baptist, Windsor

Day Tour Windsor Stonehenge Salisbury

Irish Guardsman Statue – A statue dedicated to Irish Guardsmen.

Day Tour Windsor Stonehenge Salisbury

Windsor Great Park – We were overwhelmed by the massive green landscape with an avenue called ‘The Long Walk’ running south of the castle for 3 long miles in a straight line.

Day Tour Windsor Stonehenge Salisbury

The Royal Park of 2020 hectares for many centuries was the private hunting ground of Windsor Castle.

Windsor castle is steeped in royal history and antique furnishings. There was definitely a lot we had missed.

The State Apartments furnished with finest works of art. St George’s Chapel, one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture. Queen Mary’s Dolls’ House, the most beautiful dolls’ house in the world. Sumptuously decorated Semi-State Rooms open to visitors in the winter months and used by The Queen for hosting her guests. And of course, the popular guard changing ceremony. Check schedules here.

And much more!

The Queen does occasionally make a visit to the castle during which the castle visit may be restricted. Before you plan your visit make sure to confirm the castle open times.

Windsor is well connected from London by rail with a good frequency and Heathrow Airport is about a 15 min ride.

STONEHENGE

We could not do much at the Windsor castle other than taking in its splendor and grandeur. We were zealous to reach our next stop. We drove through the beautiful countryside with the bright radiant daffodils everywhere. Once our guide informed us that we were nearing our destination we were all eyes for one glimpse of the astounding monument.

We finally reached the main entrance gate of the visitors center. Our guide got us the tickets along with an audio guide. We hopped onto one of the shuttles running from the visitor center to the Stones.

Day Tour Windsor Stonehenge Salisbury

Our shuttle dropped us close to the Stonehenge. The Stonehenge bound by ropes to avoid proximity was  swarming with tourists taking pictures. The weather was windy, we spent some time taking pictures and when the weather worsened we decided to leave.

Neolithic Village

Back at the visitor center one can find many recreated Neolithic Village which gives an insight into the life of the people who lived 4,500 years ago.

Day Tour Windsor Stonehenge Salisbury

A huge Sarsen was at the display where one can attempt to pull the sarsen and test their strength. I tried pulling it but no luck it actually displayed a measure saying strength required would be 100 times of me.

Exhibition

The visitor center houses an exhibition with a 360-degree audio-visual experience of the Stonehenge. The antiquity exhibition displays more than 250 ancient archaeological objects discovered during excavation. The most remarkable of all was the face of a 5500-year-old man reconstructed with forensic help based on his bones found near Stonehenge.

Day Tour Windsor Stonehenge Salisbury

After this overwhelming experience, we took a seat at a table of the cafeteria for a must required rest and recollected the amazing history.

The mysterious of “Stonehenge” dates back to around 4000 years. The Stonehenge stands in a vast sacred landscape dotted with large barrows of different forms which are burial mounds from an early Neolithic period.

It was interesting to know that biggest of Stonehenge’s stones, known as sarsens, are up to 30 feet tall and weigh 25 tons. The smaller ones known as bluestones weigh up to 4 tons which constitute the inner circle of Stonehenge was sourced from Wales, nearly 200 miles away.

One can grab a unique opportunity to experience the stones from close with an access to the inner circle. More Info here.

With so many curiosities unanswered we bid farewell to the most astonishing and incredible circle of mystery.

SALISBURY

Our last stop of the tour was the magnificent Salisbury Cathedral, one of the UK’s most iconic medieval buildings. The Anglican Cathedral has the tallest church spire in the UK which can be visited on a tour. Also, worth checking is the cathedral clock supposedly the oldest working modern clock in the world.

Day Tour Windsor Stonehenge Salisbury

We visited the beautifully decorated cathedral emanating a charming ambiance on occasion of Christmas eve.

Day Tour Windsor Stonehenge Salisbury

We spend some time and decided to explore the town which was adorned with dazzling Christmas lights. We had our dinner at one of the restaurants and hustled back at the parking to drive back to London.

Have you been to Stonehenge or Windsor or Salisbury, we would love to hear your experiences? Do share with us in comments.

38 thoughts on “A day tour to Windsor, Stonehenge and the Salisbury Cathedral.

• October 7, 2016 at 12:05 pm

What a nice day tour! I didn’t know there were so many other things to do in the area, so this is a nice surprise! I’d love to go do this for myself one day.

• mm
      October 13, 2016 at 9:47 am

If you plan to book a day tour you mostly get it combined with visits to more places 🙂

• October 7, 2016 at 6:18 pm

Your second photo of Windsor kind of reminded me of the Tower of London – did you get that impression at all when you were there? Really interesting that you got to see the oldest working clock in the Salisbury Cathedral. I’ve never been to any of those places but would love to based on your photos and the rich history there. Did you have a favorite out of the three?

• mm
      October 13, 2016 at 9:49 am

Unfortunately, we could not get into Windsor. But Stonehenge is very impressive and intriguing with the stones and the barrows all around the surrounding green scape.

• October 7, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Castles are my favorite! I would absolutely visit every single castle in Europe if I could! (But there are so many of them lol). Stonehenge I’ve dreamed of visiting since childhood! I didn’t know about the Neolithic village, though. That’s definitely really neat. 🙂

• mm
      October 13, 2016 at 9:49 am

True Jillian Stonehenge itself has so many things to see and experience

• October 8, 2016 at 2:38 am

We actually skipped Stonehenge when we visited England. I didn’t realize there were so many other things you could do on the way there and back. I kind of want to visit now that I’ve read your post!

• mm
      October 13, 2016 at 9:50 am

Do plan a visit next time and share your experience with us 🙂

• October 8, 2016 at 3:16 am

What else to say? These places are absolutely awesome and I would love to visit them too. I am jealous right now and hope that I could just fly and travel AsAp.

• October 8, 2016 at 3:20 am

I have family in the UK so have visited often. Unfortunately much of the time is spent catching up rather than sight seeing lol. I would love to make it to Stonehenge one day.

• mm
      October 13, 2016 at 9:51 am

Thats awesome! UK has lot more to explore than we actually know 🙂

• October 8, 2016 at 6:30 am

When travelling I tend to shy away from famous monuments. But I think Stonehenge is a place I need to visit. I heard that the stones were put there by the ancient druids as kind of history books before paper was invented. Is that true?

• mm
      October 13, 2016 at 9:53 am

Not sure about the druids but yes of all what we have understood its definitely something to do with the religious customs as the landscape in and around Stonehenge is considered scared for rituals ages ago.

• October 8, 2016 at 6:42 am

If this is a tour that can be done in a day, I am totally up for it! What took me aback was also the Royal Park, the size of it is amazing and it looks immense from just the picture of the straight long walk way. I also like that there were replica houses of people who lived there before. It is interesting to contrast that against the enormous stone castles found in Windsor

• mm
      October 13, 2016 at 9:55 am

True 🙂

• October 13, 2016 at 9:54 am

I am thinking this is a perfect tour to do with children, I know mine would love each and every stage of it, so I would definitely consider this for family travel. Easier than with public transportation makes it a perfect choice for families with children. I love the pictures of the castle and that green “Long Walk” really looks beautiful. I will definitely add this day-trip to my wishlist of citybreaks for England!

• October 13, 2016 at 3:10 pm

The “long walk” is almost frightening from that picture!
    Anyway, I would have never thought to find a Christmas tree inside a church! I see it’s Anglican, so they are a bit different from the usual Christians, but still, a tree like that was totally unexpected! 😀

• October 14, 2016 at 6:05 am

I, like some of the previous commenters, was under the mistake assumption that Stonehenge was in somewhat of an isolated place with little else around of interest. Good to know that there are plenty of other exhibitions and attractions that would make the journey worthwhile. Although, as a bit of a history buff, it is kind of embarrassing that I haven’t yet been there! Nice write-up and some superb pictures

• October 14, 2016 at 12:58 pm

We have been to Stonehenge, but we couldn’t justify the price to get up close and personal when we could see it from the road. We didn’t realise there was more to see than just the stones, so we did a drive by ‘shooting’ of this beautiful landmark. If we had done our research, maybe we would have gone in. Windsor Castle is on our UK bucket list, and your post has confirmed that we need to get there before we set off from the UK.

• mm
      October 16, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Unfortunately, Windsor was closed for the visit during our trip. We know we missed amazing things there. Do share your experience when you visit, we would love to read 🙂

• October 15, 2016 at 2:10 am

I’ve been to Stonehenge via a tour. It is a nice relaxing spot and quite intriguing. It’s good you explored outside the city as many people only go the London and that’s about it. There are plenty of other places to explore obviously. Good write up.

• mm
      October 16, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Yes we were lucky enough on that, we are glad we booked a tour that covered other places around the stones else if on own it wouldn’t have been possible.

• October 16, 2016 at 12:03 pm

I hope stone henge happens in my life soon. Just the pics and the history excites me. Looks like there are other ample things to do around too.

• mm
      October 16, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Agree the history is definitely fascinating and you should make a visit soon 🙂

• October 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm

What a beautiful place to visit! As a kid, I used to learn a lot about Stonehenge during my English lessons. I have never yet really felt the need to see this place on my own. The history is really fascinating and hard to imagine how people built this place years ago.
    Glad to read you had a fantastic time in England! 🙂

• October 18, 2016 at 1:24 am

One day packed with tour highlights, I must say. I am so envious of your photos and I hope one day I would go there as well. Windsor Castle looks amazing and I am very curious how the royal apartments look like. I am not sure if I have skipped reading it, but may I know how much a day trip to these three places cost you? Just wanna know for future reference. 🙂

• October 18, 2016 at 6:08 am

Your snaps are lovely. And I couldn’t help but fall more, deeper, and deeper in love with the mountains. The pictures entice my craving for historical and cultural experience. Hoping to visit the place one of these days. 🙂

• October 18, 2016 at 7:50 am

Windsor castle looks really elegant. Do you know that the Bangalore Palace is modeled along the lines of the Windsor Palace? Stonehenge is another enigmatic place that I would love to visit someday. The place has a mysterious aura about it.

• mm
      October 18, 2016 at 11:44 am

Oh is it! We really didnt about the Bangalore Palace been inspired by the Windsor Palace. Yes, Stonehenge is mysterious indeed 🙂

• October 18, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Wow! Stonehenge is not just a landmark, good to know that they also put up a sample figures of a Neolithic Village for the visitors. Now I wonder how that 5500-year old man looks like. I hope soon to have a day visiting these places too. Windsor castle is also a place I’m dreaming of visiting to. Thanks for this post!

• October 18, 2016 at 4:08 pm

The day tour seems worth it! I haven’t been to any of those places, so I’m definitely looking forward to it. I can’t wait to see the Windsor Castle and the Stonehenge – looks so dreamy,

• October 18, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Great to see some thng on the Stonehenge! It is not merely about the place but the sheer prehistoric mystery that is attached with these structures that intrigues me. I think I just have a fascination for lost civilizatons like Indus Valley on this side.

• October 18, 2016 at 9:11 pm

What an exciting day to say the least! I’ve made a goal to see all 7 wonders of the world by 30 so this is obviously on the list. I’d love to see Windsor while i was in the vicinity too!

• October 18, 2016 at 10:01 pm

I may be alone in this thought, but my favorite picture was of “The Long Walk”. It’s just so lush and vast-I love it! This sounds like a very long day! I haven’t been, but have often read that Stonehenge leaves a lot to be desired. Did you feel that way? I’ve also never had much of a grasp on how massive those stones are-very interesting!

• October 19, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Nice post! Thanks for sharing your story and tips! 😉 I really wanted to visit Stonehedge some time ago and never went. Your route seems really worthy for visiting multiple places in a short time! I will keep your post bookmarked until I find some days to fly to UK. I loved the pics too 😀

• October 19, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Wow I had no idea that the Windsor castle is the oldest in the world! I’ve always had it in mind to visit if I am close by as it looks absolutely stunning! Stonehenge is another attraction that is on everyone’s list going to England and I can see why. It is one of these magic places in the world that you want to see with your own eyes. The cathedral looks amazing on both outside and inside. I love Gothic architecture and especially love the spacious cathedrals with tall arc that create a pattern when you look up.

• October 20, 2016 at 10:33 pm

When I started watching history channel about ancient aliens I had fascination with Mayans, stonehedge and Egypt. These are the few spots I wanna see over the next 3 years of me traveling. I also wanna see castle coz there are NO castles here in the Philippines so ticking off France on my list will be lovely

• October 21, 2016 at 11:12 pm

This is actually pretty cool. I studied Stonehenge last year in school so it was nice to reflect and see how you interpreted your way around the site. Specifically, the visitor centre did you find that site was a nice medium to Stonehenge itself because it’s periods of times of constructions stark to conflicting generations?